Monday, July 26, 2010

41 Weeks 5 Days

Well July 12 was the day to check in to the hospital. We went a few hours early because I thought I was seeing signs of things progressing. Nothing was happening, but they kept me because it was only a matter of a couple of hours.

Being checked in early allowed me to start the medication earlier, by about 5 hours. That was definitely a BONUS. We started cytotec at 7pm and pitocin at 11pm-ish. The cramping started pretty mellow, but then moved onto very painful after the pitocin started. My first epidural was not a success. After two doses of additional meds they believed me that the first was not working properly. The second was FABULOUS. After 16 hours of labor and the baby's heart rate being elevated, her not dropping, and not being fully dilated, the Dr. decided that a C-section was the baby's best option.

I have not regrets that it ended up with surgery. I was hoping in a small way that it would go that way to begin with. This allows me to heal from surgery instead of delivery.

It amazed me how fast the nursing/medical staff moved. They gave 10 minutes for prep to get me into the OR. They rushed David and the kids out of the room and went to tell the intended parents what was going to happen.

I was in the OR very quickly and the Dr was there waiting for me, demanding/ordering what was to happen next. She was amazing. They went to get David and brought him in. I was already open when he got there. He did his best keeping me informed to what was happening , by way of reflection in the overhead lights. There were smells I won't label, lots of tugging and pulling, but NO pain. I just waited to hear that first cry and did allow myself to cry when I heard it.

July 13, 2010 11:44 AM 8lbs 4.3ozs. 19inches PERFECT

The staff was amazing they took pictures of the baby for me and David and then handed her to David and took more pictures of the three of us together. They gave us time to see, touch and talk to her. I got to tell her I loved her. They then took her to our children so they could see her and say good bye, before taking her to her parents.

I fell asleep and woke up in recovery with my sweet husband by my side. It was a God experience, so Blessed from beginning to end. I look forward to this journey progressing and the next one on this road.

No comments:

Post a Comment